5 Topmost Hidden Tactics to Secure Netgear Router
Devices on the internet send and receive information using IP (Internet Protocol) addresses, which are unique identifiers for each device. To offset the potential risks of using the internet on the devices connected to your Netgear router, we have come up with the topmost tactics that will help you secure Netgear router. So, stop worrying and give a read to this post.
Here’s How You Can Secure Netgear Router:
a) Create a Strong Password
Start by changing the default password of your Netgear wireless router. Make sure that your password is:
- Longer than six characters
- Contains letters, numbers, and symbols
- Has a mix of upper and lowercase letters
Note: Avoid using sequential numbers because they are easier for hackers to guess.
Now, follow the below-mentioned guidelines and learn how to change the password of your WiFi device:
- Switch on your computer.
- Launch an internet browser.
- In the URL bar of the browser, type routerlogin.net.
- Press the Enter key.
- You will find yourself on the Netgear router login page.
- Input the default username and password of your device.
- Click Log In.
- Once on the Netgear Genie dashboard, go to Settings > WiFi Settings.
- Type the new password under the Change Password field.
- Click Apply.
- In some time, your changes will become effective.
In this manner, you are one step closer to securing your Netgear wireless router.
b) Perform Netgear Firmware Update
Another thing you can do to secure Netgear router is to perform firmware update. Keeping the firmware of your device updated also helps in fixing bugs and errors.
Take the help of the below-mentioned steps to update your wireless device:
- Open a web browser on your PC.
- Type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of the browser and press Enter.
- The Netgear router login page will appear on the screen of your device.
- Log in to your router using the default login credentials.
Note: If you are not sure regarding the default username and password of your router, it is advised that you refer to the user manual.
- Click Log In.
- Head over to the Settings option and select Maintenance.
- Click Firmware Update and follow the on-screen prompts.
By following these steps, you will be able to perform Netgear router firmware update.
Note: Whether you have performed Netgear AC750 setup or configured any other router model, the aforementioned steps will remain the same if you want to update firmware of your device.
c) Subscribe to Netgear Armor
You can consider subscribing to Netgear Armor to secure Netgear router. Netgear Armor is an advanced multi-layer cyber security solution that safeguards your network as well as individual devices.
If you have no idea about how to activate Netgear Armor, we recommend you get in touch with our technical experts. They will definitely be of some help to you.
d) Enable WPA3 Option
If your Netgear wireless router supports it, we recommend you change your WiFi security option to WPA3 (WiFi Protected Access).
In case you are wondering what is WPA3, let us tell you that it is the latest WiFi encryption standard. WPA technology encrypts user data and protects WiFi networks from threats.
e) Disable Remote Management
Make sure that remote management access is disabled on your Netgear wireless router. Remote Management is a feature that lets you get connected to your WiFi router when you are not at home.
It is advised that you keep this feature disabled so that your network is not discoverable by devices that are not connected to your home WiFi network.
This was all about the top 5 ways through which you can secure Netgear router. We hope that these tactics will help you safeguard your wireless device. In case they don’t, we advise you get in touch with our well-versed experts. They are always on their toes to help you fix your router-related issues.